May 18, 2007

help? someone?

so i went to the chiropractor yesterday and the day before. my doctor wanted to get an mri of my neck, but he said if i was willing to go see the chiropractor first. i said yes!! so the day before yesterday he took xrays and talked to me about stuff. yesterday we looked at the xrays and he adjusted my neck. apparently all my problems are in my neck. that's not a picture of my neck, and that's not what my neck looks like. it's just not curved as much as it should be. all the nerves and things that run out of the part of my neck that's having problems leads straight to the shoulders. (if you don't know about my 3-year arm/shoulder pain...well, it's too long a story to tell right now...) so i laid on this table thing in front of, like, 10 other people - which i hated...i wish the adjustment tables were more private - and he cracked my neck like nothing else i've ever heard. yes, i know it's fine. and yes, i know that he didn't break my neck or anything. but i have three words for what i experienced yesterday: i hated it. (sorry jay are...) i mean, the doctor is great. very kind, informative, strong, and stuff. but it's something about the way they approach the whole process. pamphlets and videos that protray the belief that chiropractic is THE ONLY answer to anyone's problems. i felt like they were calling me stupid for not going in before. anyway. i cried...no, bawled the entire way home. i don't know what it is...i just don't like it. i don't feel good about it. i don't want to do it. he wants me to come in three times a week for 12 weeks. chris and i are already the busiest people alive, and we have one car, and he already waits 30 minutes after he's supposed to leave work for me to come pick him up. and my insurance will only pay for 12 visits. *sigh* expensive, uncomfortable, no guarantee that it will work - i just don't know. maybe i'm bitter about everything else in the world that i've tried to fix my arms....maybe it's because i have quite a few people in my life that i respect a lot who say chiropractors are not the answer....i don't know. i don't know if i'm going back or not. i'm going to talk to my doctor about it.

in other news, the househunt is on hold. more on that later!

let the sun shine in!! it's such a gorgeous day today. chris and i are going on date tonight, and i get to wear my new dress that he got me for my birthday!! (well, he got me a gift card, and i picked the dress out...) relaxing friday night, super busy saturday with haircuts, lunch with friends, and graduation parties!!! HOORAY!!!
i must go work!

2 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Hey, your blog is linked on my husband's blog (Chris Williams) and I know that you don't know me, but some red flags came up as I was reading this blog, and I had to warn you about the chiropractor. I don't think all chiropractors are crooks, however I've had a terrible experience with a certain chiropractor and I will never ever go back to one. I think the whole "3 times a week for a few weeks" is ridiculous! Personally, I think that it is a way to get the most money out of your insurance possible. A chiropractor will tell you how all of these things are wrong with you that you didn't even know about and you didn't even have any symptoms of these "problems." Oftentimes, they will find out first how much your insurance covers, and then treat you for everything that they cover even if you don't need it. Shady if you ask me.

Anyways, here's a short version of my experience: I was about 6 or 7 months pregnant with my second baby, and I was having excruciating back pain. I was crying all the time because the pain was this shooting sharp pain in my lower back and it was really hindering me from taking care of my other baby (she was about 10 months at the time). So I go to this chiropractor in my area, and he does x-rays, some computer posture thing, and some kind of electro-something (all of which are atleast $100 each), and then takes me in another room and does his "sales pitch" on what was "wrong" and how I need to come x amount of times for x amount of weeks and so on and so on. So I go a few times not seeing any results, and getting very poor service and this wise guy has me doing these back bends on a stability ball (7 months pregnant) and after I throw up from all of the weight on my belly making me sick while I'm standing on my head, he says that I got sick because some nerve was messed up in my neck and basically almost twisted my neck off my head! I ran out of there and never went back. He actually made my back worse, and after I quit going it started getting better. He never billed me either which is a good thing because I'm not going to pay him. I think all chiropractors no matter what is wrong with you tell you the same thing, and I think it's a scam. I think some injuries and certain things or legit, but my advice would be to see an orthopedic doctor if you haven't already. Anyways, if you have any questions or want me to tell you some of the other things that happened during my visits, my e-mail is carlysmom05@gmail.com. Hope this helped some. Good luck!

8:41 PM  
Blogger lyndsay said...

christy, thanks for rambling!! it definitely helps to hear other people's experiences. i'm glad things worked out for you - good decision to run out!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home